Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Hi. My name is Holly,

and I'm a shop-a-holic.

The first step is admitting the problem right?

I almost wasn’t going to share this, but I think it will be a funny story for my posterity to share for generations to come… or at least to show that I was a shop-a-holic. Was. Am. Whatever.

I think it was the week before I was induced, I received in the mail the stuff and save mailer from Old Navy. 30% off your purchases! But, wait. If you were one of the first 50 customers on the first day of Stuff and Save you could save 50% your purchases! (even clearance, my favorite part!) The only catch? It would be the day after I would most likely come home from the hospital…

I know what you’re thinking, unless you really know me, but even then I’m sure you’re still thinking, “No, she didn’t…”

Oh, yes. I did.

I know, I’m crazy.

My theory: When you bring home a new baby from the hospital I feel like you are kind of full of adrenaline (and pain killers), so you feel able to do more than you should be doing.

So, the morning of the sale I was determined to be one of the first 50 customers. My kids needed shorts, jeans, my husband needed jeans, my new baby needed summer clothes, and I needed that 50 % off!

I arrived only thirty minutes early and made it to the top 50. I was so excited, but soon I was so tired…

Just standing in line waiting for the store to open took a toll on my body. I kept looking at this one lady who had bought a camping chair to sit in while she waited, and thought “maybe if I told her I had a baby three days ago she would let me have her chair…” By the end of my shopping, I was moving SO slow and totally leaning on my shopping cart trying to take the pressure off my back, tailbone, and nether regions.

The total trip took two hours. I won’t tell you how much I spent, but I totally scored some great deals!

I got home, had John carry the bags upstairs, and I crashed on the bed.

A few hours later, my body was feeling the pain. It was pretty bad, and it only got worse.

I may have gotten 50% off all of my bargains, but my body was feeling 50% more lousy.

Yes. I like to shop. If there's a sale, I'll be there. I'm like the postal service, I'll make it there through wind, rain, snow...

or labor.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH wow! You really are Super Woman. How in the world were you able to do that?! Maybe after Jarom I could have gone (with him only being just under 8 pounds I felt fantastic afterwards) but after Gavyn and the STITCHES and gloved filled icepacks, and he was over 9 pounds, no way! And Jonah was over a pound bigger than that!!! You are truly impressive and truly addicted. :) I tried to talk Burke into going to Old Navy on Saturday for the sale and he said, "Sweetie, this isn't the only sale like that they are going to have." I wanted to disagree, but oh well--I am glad you scored 50% off!

April said...

Wow! That's as bad as me taking my 10 day old baby to Disneyland!! I was still feeling the pain!

cbonitab said...

nerd. you can never say anything again about my tanning addiction. YOU ARE BUSTED.

Under the Oaks said...

This is "Oprah" worthy as far as fascinating!
Of course, I'm not one to talk. If you ask my daughters where we buy their clothes, they'll say, "Where ever there's a sale!"

DC Diva said...

Ahhh! I love this story!